If you find injured or orphaned wildlife:
- Call ARC for instructions or read the information provided in this site.
- If it is determined the animal needs assistance, then pick up the animal gently with gloves on
- Place animal in a small box with soft cloth on the bottom. Secure lid and create ventilation.
- Place a heating pad set on “low” half way UNDER the box, or a plastic bottle filled with hot water and wrapped in a cloth IN the box;
- Place the box in a quiet, dark room. DO NOT give food or water.
Babies are usually rescued unnecessarily. Chances are when you find a baby, their mom is hiding nearby watching your every move. If you place the baby in a box, lid open, and up off the ground, so domestic animals can’t get to it, chances are the mother will return to retrieve her babies. If the animal is nocturnal, the mother will only return at night to get her baby. Place the baby in the exact location that you found him/her and leave for a few hours.
If there are domestic animals roaming around and reuniting is not a possibility, call ARC at 704-552-2329.